Saturday, August 7, 2010

Bird Attacks 'Celebrity'

We aren't used to having our tomatoes attacked by birds, or just haven't sustained much damage over the years from the local bird population.

There are three birdbaths on our small property, freshened daily (or more often during hot weather). I assumed that our feathered friends had plenty of water to refresh themselves. One, apparently, has more exotic tastes.


I caught sight of an unusual bird on one of the tomato plants (a Celebrity) in our back yard, and when I went to look more closely it flew away. It may have been a female oriole. I've heard orioles while home on vacation and I was sorry to miss her. But who knows. Judging by the damage to the tomato I found, this particular birdie had a pretty sharp beak!

Looking online for similar instances, it appears to be a routine problem and folks suggest anything from bird netting to shiny CDs. [What about whirligigs?] My favorite was slipping fruit into sections of nylon stockings. Chic!

We'll be keeping an eye on the many ripening red orbs.


AR

No comments:

Post a Comment