Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snow & Evergreens

Hedges of hemlock, arborvitae and yew guard the periphery of our yard. The picture wasn’t pretty the morning after the recent blizzard. They really looked like they needed help. The yew hedge, in particular, had taken a beating. I know some people are hesitant but, on occasion, it’s necessary. This was one of those times. The yew hedge below was simply crying out for help. I might be out there again tomorrow if the meteorologists are right.
Before

After
At our previous place I had to clear hollies that bent right over to the ground when loaded with snow. We also inherited a bamboo grove that I also used to clear of snow. At the time I also considered myself a bamboo weaver. I would “reweave” the bamboo for air and aesthetic effect.

Before you begin the process of freeing your evergreens from the grip of a big snow, you need to consider the risks versus the rewards. The process will probably cause some damage, depending on the plant, instruments and degree of care you use. If you’ve got a lot of ice, you should probably just hope for a thaw.

I’ve experimented with different tools over the years. A light brushing motion with your hands or a broom is often recommended. Those are good approaches but may not work so well with large amounts of heavy snow or in hard-to-reach spots.

At first, I tried the convex side of a large plastic snow shovel. I didn’t hit the snow but rather used a soft upward pushing motion. This year, I tried a long piece of flexible PVC. Again, I didn’t whack at the snow as if I was beating a rug but rather, using the poles flex, set it to moving back and forth slightly in as gentle a manner as possible. I was surprised how well this technique loosened up heavy blobs of snow.

Using a flexible pole to remove snow from hemlocks.
The pole did no damage to the hemlocks or the arborvitae. There was, however, some minimal damage to the yew hedge in the form of small bits and pieces here and there. This is consistent with my past experience. No matter what tool I use on the yews, there always seems to be some damage. On the plus side, the damage is extremely minor in the scope of things and has never resulted in any noticeable harm to the hedge in the long run.

The major advantage of the pole is that I can get at hard-to-reach areas. I also found that I could free most of the low-lying snow-covered branches by sliding the pole underneath and applying gentle upward pressure. This worked particularly well on the hemlocks where there was no extra snow from plows or shoveling.

Of course, if the lower branches are really snowed in you’ll have to remove the overlying snow first. This was the case with the arborvitae and yew and, after a day or two of waffling, I decided I had to dig them out.

The next time, I’ll probably use my hands and/or a broom on the easy spots and a gingerly applied flexible pole here and there as required.

Just remember three things:
1) Leave them alone unless there's a lot of snow,
2) Whatever technique you use, be as gentle as possible to minimize damage, and
3) Observe the results of your work and stop if you’re doing more harm than good.

I’ve also changed my approach to shoveling. In our yard, there isn’t much room to put the snow from our driveway. It’s OK most of the time but it becomes a problem after a couple of big snows. I’ve started to use a wheelbarrow to wheel it away to another part of the yard.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I wanted to email you in regards in any possible advertising opportunities you may have with your website...I would be very interested in working something out with you if you have anything at the moment. I'm looking to earn support for a national cause and get visibility for the "plant 1 billion trees" project. Let me know if you would be interested at all in supporting this cause. I look forward to talking to you soon!

    ReplyDelete